Monday, July 8, 2019

The End

When I started work in an engineering office I worked for the public good, my in-tray was physical, I had my own office and I could issue instructions for works costing up to twenty thousand dollars. When the work was slow we played cricket in the hall.
Now I work for an hourly rate, my in-tray is electronic, I work in a vast open office 40m x 10m and builders argue with my advice. We pretend the work is never slow.

Looking through the glass walls, between the workers at their standing desks, I can see the blue hills far away. Is it time to tuck my 39 year old calculator in my pocket and walk away?

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill 10 Nov 1942

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gas Lighting

Gas lighting was nominated as word of the year yesterday by Mirrium-Webster. When I look it up, the source of the term is nomin...