Saturday, February 1, 2020

Sealed in

My home is air conditioned. It never used to be and I love a a high speed fan for feeling cool. But the air conditioning is installed now and I makes sleeping through the night very easy.

To assuage my conscience I have sealed all the external and internal doors so that the heat does not leak in. It was a tough job.-
1) All the internal doors had large gaps at the bottom because the house was once carpeted. Now the floors are polished hardwood.
2) Not all the doors shut
3) The floors are not even.

For the external doors I installed weather strips at the bottom so this stopped rain blowing in (a job that has been on my list a while) as well as stopping warm air blowing in. I added rubber seals around the frame.

The internal doors had to be taken down and have coverstrips added onto the bottom to restore their length then nylon brush seals were added. The brushes were able to cope with the changing floor floor levels as the door swung open and closed. I also shaved the doors to fit the door frames and repositioned the locks so the the doors actually shut.

A surprise was the amount of warm air blowing into the house under the toilet door - the toilet is permanently naturally ventilated with fixed louvres.

Since sealing the doors I have adjusted the air conditioner - it does not have to work so hard.

And I still use a high speed fan to cool down fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gas Lighting

Gas lighting was nominated as word of the year yesterday by Mirrium-Webster. When I look it up, the source of the term is nomin...