Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Banned Authors

Occasionally an author so disappoints me with their story that I ban myself from reading another of their books-
1) My Sister's Keeper by Jodie Picoult. 
The premise is set up brilliantly. A young girl refuses to undergo an operation that would save her sister's life. Then at the climax in the crux of the dilemma there is a car accident and and so the whole point of the story vanishes. I read the book flying from London to the USA. I was so deflated at the weak ending.

2) Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier.
In the US civil war a soldier deserts and slowly makes his way home, an often delayed and painful journey. I lived his trials as I read. Then just before he reaches home he is killed. So no point to the whole journey - perhaps true to life but not why I was reading the book. I read the book based a a recommendation in heard on the radio from Bob Carr.

3) A Song of Fire and Ice - an unfinished series by George R. R. Martin.
A great fantasy adventure and well told but my favourite characters kept being killed. I could not endure it - I stopped after Book 2 or 3. The first book was published in 1996. Book 5 of of 7 was published in 2011. The last 2 books are unpublished, possibly still unwritten. So in stopping early I avoided the disappointment and frustration of all those still waiting for the series to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gas Lighting

Gas lighting was nominated as word of the year yesterday by Mirrium-Webster. When I look it up, the source of the term is nomin...